Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Bard of Maplewood

I wondered what had happened to Daniel Smythe, my grandmother's poetry teacher, who was kind enough to give some of my juvenile efforts a going over. It turns out that he died 3 years before she did:

Saturday, June 2, 2007

The Bard of Maplewood


I remember standing alone in front of my house after a deep, winter snow. The world evoked Robert Frost’s poem, Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening.

Along came a man, walking down the middle of the street where the snow was packed. He was wearing a trench coat, and a fedora capped his head, above his ruddy face.

It was Daniel Webster Smythe, a poet.

I knew this because my parents had told me, and, like my father, Mr. Smythe worked at Bradley University. I don’t think I ever spoke a word to Mr. Smythe in my whole life, though his friendly wife Ruth, with the sound of Cape Cod still in her voice, occasionally visited my mother. She would take mom to their book crammed house, five places down from ours, looking for some thing or another. The Smythe’s had two children, a boy and a girl, who were grown by the time we came along.

So, all I really know of Daniel Smythe is what I learned reading his poems and bits of public information about him. He was a widely published poet with poems in more than 100 publications, including the New Yorker and Harper’s. He won the Annual Award of the Poetry Society of America in 1940 and many other prizes during his life.

Before his academic career, Mr. Smythe worked on a farm in New Hampshire and on a wildlife sanctuary in New York, which perhaps explains why so many of his poems have nature as their theme. He served in the armed forces during World War II, and he came to Bradley in about 1949 to teach American literature and creative writing.

Daniel Smythe was praised by many influential poets, including Robert Frost, about whom he wrote a book, Robert Frost Speaks.

The book of poems on my shelf entitled, The Best Poems of Daniel Smythe, is inscribed, “For Ed & Mary King With best wishes, Daniel Smythe Thanksgiving 1974” He died seven years later.

I didn’t know when I saw him walking down the street that I would one day take classes in creative writing—poetry no less—as a graduate student at Bradley. Poetry—it’s a word that makes a lot of people, including me, a little nervous. There’s a kind of mystery about it. I think poetry has something to do with trying to see the world with fresh eyes and translating the observations into fresh language, though this is a stale way of putting it.

Well, as the saying goes, “I know what I like.” Here is a poem from Daniel Smythe’s anthology. It’s not one of his many award winners, but I like it.

THE BEACH

Landscape,
sea-bird,
shell shape,
sea heard.

Fog snug,
beach rose,
rockweed rug
grows and grows.

The snail hut,
word-lost shore –
this is what
I am looking for.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was looking up a book author and decided to look up my uncle Dan. I saw your blog about him. I can give you more information about him although I didn't see him that often. He was my mother's brother. So nice to see someone interested in him. Pat

Anonymous said...

I have just found two books of poetry left by my parents when they passed away in 2001 - Strange Element and Green Doors - by Daniel Smythe. He signed each one , one to my father and the other to both of my parents. I was trying to find something about him. They lived in Masachusetts and I don't know where they got the books. Thank you.

Shelley said...

My grandmother, Marguerite Estaver lived in Newton Centre where she taught violin for many years. Her copy of 'Strange Element' is signed and dated August 15th, 1967, and it looks as if 'Green Doors' was also autographed at the same time but with no date. Could they possibly have attended the same lecture or seminar together? My father, Wayne Keith, passed away in 2001 and my mother, Peggy Keith, in 2008.

Thank you Pat for the offer! I never met him though he sent me a couple of letters of advice on writing poetry when I was a young teen.

Anonymous said...

Checking the dates in the 2 books I have from my parents....Green Doors, signed to my father ,"with all best wishes and in happy memory', is not dated. But Strange Element is signed to both my parents and dated July 27, 1967. My father would never have attended a lecture ( !! ) but my mother was in women's and library groups in Haverhill , MA and perhaps he spoke there .

Anonymous said...

Still do not know where my parents received the signed books, except perhaps at a Woman's City Club meeting in Haverhill - I was living in the midwest at the time and did not always hear about the programs. My mother also took weekly art lessons from an Ethel Holmes just over the Haverhill line in NH - in the mid to late 60's - that could be another source. Or the Haverhill library. If his nephew is interested in having my two books, I will gladly give them to him. Anonymous

Douglas Christian said...

Hi Shelley,

Your grandmother, Marguerite Estaver, was an inspiration! I had her as a student, and she was unlike any teacher I have had since. Magnificent and inspired.

I never was at concert level, which is what her level of instruction dictated, but her lessons went beyond the violin. In moments of excitement and passion, she would hand me her Guarnerius to play. Not bad for a kid!

Wonderful memories. Thanks to your grandmother.

Vesta said...

Shelley, I'm looking at your grandmother's Symphony of Leaves and When Midnight Comes. She also sent us a signed copy of Smythe's Strange Element.
Came across this blog because I'm writing up a piece about our relationship with Mrs. Estaver.

Vesta

Shelley said...

I remember your name Vesta! I very much would like to read your essay when you've finished it :)

Shelley said...

btw, my brother Geoffrey Keith is a piano and guitar teacher. He and his wife Peggy live in my parent's old house in Sudbury. Like they say, the apple doesn't fall far!

Ellie said...

Shelley, I studied with Mrs. Estaver when I was a young girl (early 60s). I loved her! I was heartbroken when she retired, and never found another teacher. She would be happy to know that I continued on violin and viola, played through college where I majored in music, and still have a violin that I play occasionally - either from my book of Mozart quartets, or Celtic music. Thanks, Mrs. Estaver.

Shelley said...

Oh Ellie, I'm so glad that music, especially the violin, is still a part of your life! I enjoy playing Celtic music on fingerstyle guitar, though I don't do it as much now because it aggravates my wrists :-/